The role of an Engineering Manager is to ensure the consistent and successful delivery of software product that meets functional and technical quality objectives. The Manager accomplishes this by employing their: project management skills, understanding of technology and software engineering, and people leadership. Additionally, the Engineering Manager is responsible for hiring and maintaining a highly skilled and performing team of software engineering professionals and ensuring their needs for technical challenges, skill growth, and overall career development are met.
Main Responsibilities and Deliverables:
- Manage the teams' delivery to a successful release by tracking work, dependencies and risks and taking corrective actions as necessary.
- Be accountable (in conjunction with the team technical lead) for the quality of the teams release by ensuring best quality engineering practices are followed including (but not limited to): writing and running of unit tests, smoke- and regression- test automation, code reviews, and design practices.
- Facilitate and support team member’s technical and career growth objectives through training, leadership opportunities, challenging work assignments, and focused mentorship.
- Oversee efforts to improve operational stability of team and software product by creating and monitoring operational dashboards to monitor and alert to system/platform problems and following up on action plans as a result of customer found issues.
- Build the team by hiring the best engineers. This includes direct participation and delegation of all recruitment and hiring activities as needed.
- Proactive and on-going performance management activities including: regular 1:1s for establishing direction and providing corrective and reinforcing feed-back intended to help engineers to define and achieve career objectives and participating in R&D-wide performance calibration meetings.
- Follow the company Code of Ethics and NICE policies and procedures at all times.
- Communicate in an effective and professional way with customers in and outside of NICE.
- Reduce liability to the company by ensuring engineers are trained in relevant security and privacy standards and coding practices follow the same.
- 10+ years of experience in software development
- 3+ years leading a high performing team in a software product development environment
- Experience with iterative or Agile methologies and techniques; Scrum, Kanban, or Lean-based approaches to software deliver a plus
- Experience with Java technologies is must
- Experience with Open Source Software (OSS) technology frameworks, platforms, and tools
- Experience with total quality management techniques and methodologies for software engineering
- Experience or working knowledge in public or private cloud hosting environments; Amazon Web Services or equivalent public cloud infrastructure provider a plus
- Working knowledge of technical architectural styles and software design patterns a plus
- Desire and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Actively engages others in getting work done to expand and broaden professional domain knowledge and know-how.
- Not afraid to “get your hands dirty”
- Ability to motivate and inspire others to take on challenges and creatively overcome obstacles
- Great initiative; proven ability to tackle projects with a can do attitude
- Proven experience in operating within a global environment
- Comfortable with working in a complex matrix environment
- Excellent English communication skills (written and verbal)
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent decision-making skills
- Team player