About the company
At NICE, we protect people’s money, ensure their safety and improve their experiences. Many of the world’s leading companies and organizations are expected to manage these three critical elements of modern living. To do so, they are tapping into the power of data, which has become ubiquitous in both business and life. These organizations turn to NICE to operationalize this data to improve business performance, increase operational efficiency, prevent financial crime, ensure compliance, and enhance safety and security.
Since 1986, NICE has been the recognized leader in these fields, providing solutions which turn both structured and unstructured data into valuable and actionable information. Our success started by capturing interactions and our expertise has evolved into applying analytics on these interactions. Combined with our years of cultivating domain expertise in partnership with our customers, we can help our customers not only understand what’s happening in real time, they can predict what will be.
NICE has over 6,000 employees and a presence in more than 150 countries. Our team is proud of their many achievements. NICE is regularly recognized for innovation and the value it provides to more than 25,000 customers, including more than 85 of the Fortune 100. When it comes to turning information overload into practical business value, no one else comes close to NICE.
About the product
Nice Sales Performance Management is a product designed to manage the performance and variable pay of Sales teams or external partners. To many of our customers this is a mission critical application responsible for paying tens of thousands of people. The application is highly scalable, capable of performing complex calculations on 100s of millions of transactions. The R&D team has recently embarked on developing new capabilities which are rapidly gaining traction in the market, leading to plans to expand the team. The product is available on premise and as hosted deployments.
This position will hire, lead and manage a group software engineers that design, develop, release, maintain, troubleshoot and debug the SPM application for SaaS and On-premise. Provide leadership through coaching, feedback, development goals, and performance management.
NICE SPM Engineering is based in Bracknell. As this site is dedicated to NICE SPM this position is the most senior employee at the site and as such incorporates the role of Site Manager.
This is a unique opportunity to work with a world class engineering team. Your leadership and desire for high quality software engineering and work methodologies will dictate the ongoing success of this team.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about building products that are used by millions of users and a team of highly qualified software engineers. This position calls for a seasoned professional who can play a lead role in the handling escalations when necessary, and actively participating in all aspects of day-to-day engineering management from product and technology direction to process improvements.
- Line management of the Engineering team of 20 Engineers. Comfortable managing an R&D team with deep product and technical knowledge that operates with a high degree of autonomy.
- Work closely with the Product Manager to define product deliverables and build the product roadmap.
- Interview and hire new staff. Undertake performance reviews and provide appropriate feedback. Manage low performers.
- Be the face of R&D for prospects and customers. Be prepared to take responsibility in front of the customer when things go wrong.
- Responsibility for the technical direction of the product. Work with Sales and Services teams to understand customer challenges and drive technology choices to meet those challenges.
- Build and maintain a good relationship with key customers.
Candidate should demonstrate
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities. Ability to stay calm and confident under pressure and to provide clear direction to the team, management and customers when tough decisions need to be made on resource and priority.
- Confidence to contribute to Technical design discussions. Be prepared to question and probe technical and product decisions.
- Appetite to develop a deep understanding of the NICE SPM product, the market and the vision for the product.
- Willingness as site manager take ownership of anything that arises that may affect the team, even if it’s not R&D related. Must be prepared to get involved of all aspects of the business. This includes managing the QA lab, scoping hardware requirements for cloud customers, and troubleshooting issues with hosted and on-premise customers.
- Engage with the wider NICE R&D services operation to ensure that your organisation is well served. Be prepared to fight the teams corner when necessary.
Skills and Experience required
The ideal candidate will have:
- 10+ years of experience in Software Engineering.
- At least 5 year’s experience in managing teams of software developers
- Proven track record of managing software product engineering projects, delivering on-time, on-budget with world-class quality
- Demonstrated ability to influence others, especially in sensitive or complex situations
- Deep experience with agile software development techniques and pitfalls
- Solid understanding of n-tier architectures
- Experience with Linux operating systems
- Nice to have experience in AngularJS
- Familiarity with Apache and Tomcat concepts required
- Experience developing enterprise-grade software products that can perform, scale, and integrate into a broad enterprise ecosystem.
- Experience developing and supporting hosted and/or multi-tenant software delivered as-a-Service (SaaS).
- Experience working in a global software company
- Computer science or equivalent numerate degree